In our previous post we discovered what were the best 3D design and modeling initiation software and STL file editing and repair.
Do you want to know what are the best slicing initiation programs? Read!
Softwares de slicing
Cura is a reference slicing program for most 3D printers developed by printer manufacturer Ultimaker. Open source, it is easy to use and with a simple interface.
It has two modes to operate: Recommended or Custom/Custom. You can choose the first one to familiarize yourself and when you need more precise control of the settings, use the custom one.
Cura can also be used as a 3D printer host program, but in this case it has to be connected to the computer at all times.
The seamless integration with SolidWorks and Siemens NX makes us see that the cutting program is worth it for professional applications, but it is also accessible to most non-professional users.
PrusaSlicer is now quite popular for various reasons: It has an extensive list of configurable settings and a redesigned interface, presents support for Prusa printers, with a large number of improvements over the original program.
With PrusaSlicer you can laminate models for fused and resin deposition modeling printers, and it has several modes of operation, including an advanced or expert one.
Due to its origin from Slic3r, Prusaslicer allows most of the original functionalities of this program, being able to import print profiles.
MatterHackers has just released MatterControl 2.0, the latest version of its free all-in-one software that allows users to design, organize, split and print their 3D models from one platform.
The process usually begins with the design of a 3D CAD model. This model is then exported to a slicer. However, MatterControl is a software that offers 3D design, cutting and management of 3D printers all on one platform.
The development team has integrated a lot of new features into the software, which can be downloaded for free from the MatterHackers webshop.
With MatterControl 2.0, users will be able to design parts from scratch or explore existing projects through Design Apps. The software also handles the cutting process elegantly, offering full control over stand generation, bed leveling and other advanced settings. After that, you can print the model and monitor the print job directly from the MatterControl platform, effectively eliminating the need for multiple programs.
- Management of 3D printers.
- Allows repair of STL files.
- It has a cutting tool in the cloud.
It consists of a free starter package. To access additional features it is necessary to pay around € 180 per year. More advanced versions of 3D Printer OS are also available for educational institutions and businesses.
It is an ideal solution for manufacturers, universities and 3D designers. For those who want a program for their home 3D printer options such as Cura or MatterControl may be more suitable.
These are the main features of KISSlicer in its latest version:
- Wizards to configure profiles.
- PRELOAD Feature: Numerically models how the printer extrudes the filament, adapting the head speed to match the precise volume of plastic.
- PRO users can cut a model with a style profile and define the print paths on that model.
- In the pass control, you can specify a layer thickness and a maximum layer thickness, which automatically enables adaptive layers if the maximum layer thickness is greater than the normal layer thickness.
- Individual models each have their own adaptive layers, unless they specify “join” layers.
- Version 1.6 stores each profile in an individual file, making it much easier to share profiles, control versions, and edit them.
- It has a new style of “cellular” filler, often called “3D fill” especially useful for TPU printing to give more uniform compression.
- In the junction-loop configuration, there is a new technique for hiding the seams.
- It has internal path optimizations, G.code improvements, additional materials, and there’s a Scale X/Y/Z right-click feature for uneven scaling.
It is a well-known slicing program because it has advanced features that no other tools offer. Although it is not updated much, it is still a reference for other open source programs. For example, with its Slic3r honeycomb filler that creates structurally useful 3D shapes throughout the interior of a print.
New features built into the software include new fill patterns, experimental support for SLA and DLP 3D printers, 3MF format, and more.
SliceCrafter integrates several innovative ideas that his team developed over the years, such as cubic/tetrahedral fillers, bridge support structures, optimal optimization of adaptive layer thickness, progressive fillers, efficient compensation, tight protective shields, two-color printing planning, maximum self-supporting cavities, and advanced trajectory.
Several of these features have inspired other cutters. You can benefit from the latest advances in IceSL!